Inverell Local Court defers hotel brawl matter to October 19.

A man facing assault charges following a violent pub brawl last weekend, will remain in custody after the matter was adjourned until next month at the request of his solicitor. 

Police charged Tweed Heads man, Dylan Bradley Sunderland, 23, after a fight allegedly broke out in the early hours of Saturday morning at the Empire Hotel on Byron Street. 

Sunderland, who is being held in custody in Tamworth Correctional Centre, was due to appear in Inverell Local Court on Thursday but was unable after technical issues with the video link.

He is facing charges of reckless wounding, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company.

Sunderland's solicitor Neurelle Lyons requested an adjournment on the grounds that additional charges are expected to be laid against her client. 

“At the moment [my client] is only charged with local court matters,” she said. 

Ms Lyons also requested that a plea not be entered at this stage, and said that no application for bail would be made. 

Magistrate Mal MacPherson adjourned the matter until October 19. 

Three men were hospitalised in the wake of Saturday’s incident with one man, a 45-year-old, being airlifted to Gold Coast University Hospital. Queensland Health reported he was still in a serious but stable condition on Thursday.

Police allege Sunderland wounded the man in the neck and they’re investigating reports a knife was used in the confrontation. 

“There was an initial verbal altercation, that is the allegation and that's escalated into a physical confrontation,” New England Detective Inspector Ann Joy told Fairfax Media.

Another man, aged 21 from Queensland, was also charged after the fight with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company.

He was granted conditional bail and is to front court in Inverell in October.

Police have confirmed investigations into the incident are continuing.