A car in Inverell caught fire on Tuesday afternoon after towels with grease on them spontaneously combusted.
The owner of the car saw smoke coming out of her vehicle, parked at the back of Hucker’s Tucker, a fast food restaurant on Vivian Street, Inverell.
The owner opened the door of her car, only to find her whole car bursting in to flames.
Firefighters from NSW Fire and Rescue Service were confronted with a car well alight in close proximity to four gas cylinders.
The crew got to work using two lines of hose.
A boys gym near the car had to be evacuated as the firefighters put out the blaze.
The car was quickly extinguished and the gas bottles were rendered safe.
The cause of the fire was believed to be oily rags left in the car during a very hot day.
Firefighters warn that leaving oily towels and other fabrics covered in combustible material inside cars is dangerous, especially in hot weather as they can catch fire quickly.
Later that afternoon, firefighters attended a diesel spill on Chester Street. On investigation it was found to be quite a large spill heading across the bridge and out of town.
With the help of the local council, the area was cleaned up and rendered safe.