During August 1953 a grand ball was held to officially open the recently built Elsmore Soldiers’ Memorial Hall.
Located in the middle of the village, this hall was designed by Mr R. H. Lockwood and built by contractors Worgan Bros of Inverell. It is an appropriate and constant memorial to those from the Elsmore District who served during World Wars I and II.
Costing approximately 2500 pounds ($5000), the new building had a well-equipped kitchen, including electric water heating, and a supper room. The main hall measured 60 feet by 30 feet (approximately 18 metres by 9 metres) and the floor was made of tallow wood – regarded as excellent for dancing.
At one end, a semi-circular stage was constructed. Steps on both sides of the hall led up to the stage where the beautiful Soldiers’ Honour Roll was placed.
Buses ran from Inverell to take people to Elsmore for this special occasion at which Defraine’s popular band provided the music. Admission was ten shillings ($1) per person which included the “dainty homemade supper” provided by the Elsmore ladies.
This new hall replaced the one demolished after the last dance was held in November 1952.
During the evening’s proceedings, the new honour roll was unveiled by Mr Ron Bucknell.
This new hall replaced the one demolished after the last dance was held in November 1952. The old hall had been privately owned and operated for around 50 years.
Kerosene lamps first lit the hall until gas lights were fitted about 1908. Various local organisations used the hall for social and fundraising events, movies and political meetings.
During World War 1, recruiting rallies, soldier farewells and welcome home functions took place in the old hall.
In July 1918, a beautiful Queensland maple timber honour roll was unveiled in this hall. The honour roll featured a wreath at the top bearing the words “For King and Empire” and named more than 50 Elsmore and district men who served during the war. This honour roll now hangs in the newer hall.
Like many community halls, both the old and new Elsmore halls have been used regularly for social events, fundraising and school activities.
Does anyone know what occasion the photograph on this page shows? Can you name any of the people pictured attending this unknown event?