Tingha's Casey Cooper received a harrowing phone call yesterday afternoon whilst preparing to defend his second property from fire.
The call alerted Casey to the fact a separate fire had ignited metres from his house further the hill from where he was.
Casey applauded the quick response from Stannifer fire brigade members who were already working on the blaze when he arrived.
"We own a beekeeping operation and where our sheds and parents house is situated is further up the hill from our house. The fire was making its way through the scrub and hit open country where we were able to control it from the boundary.
"But we got a call and had to pack up and run because another fire broke out right near our house. I need to give credit to those firefighters, they more or less saved my house," he said.
Firefighters extinguished the spot fire which was headed straight for the home. Fiance Suellen Weiss, who was stuck in Glen Innes due to road closures, thanked firies for saving her cats.
Casey said he was spending the day "mopping up" whilst the fire threat to Tingha eased a little. His thoughts went out to residents around New Valley, Gilgai and Guyra Road.
"These firefighters on the ground are the people making all the difference. I'd hate to see what might have happened if we didn't have such terrific firefighters on call. They're the ones sweating it out and choking on smoke to save people and properties and they deserve all the recognition," he said.