Pathfinders has recently launched the Aboriginal Transition to School Program (ATTS) to provide Aboriginal children between the ages of three and six years with access to quality preschool and school education.
The program covers Armidale, Inverell, Ashford, Tingha, Uralla and Walcha, with a Learning Circle available in Inverell, Ashford and Tingha.
The Learning Circle is where the children who are not developmentally ready to attend a formal preschool setting come together to work on their skills in a fun and safe environment.
A child’s brain develops more in the first five years of life than at any other time.Amanda Doye
Participation in this Learning Circle will occur if other external providers have no vacancies and if parents and carers wish for their child to continue to access the Pathfinders ATTS Program until they’re ready for preschool.
The ATTS facilitator, Amanda Doye, supports the children and their families on their educational journeys to ensure that their education experience is a positive one.
“As an early childhood educator, I know that a child’s brain develops more in the first five years of life than at any other time,” she said.
“My role as the ATTS facilitator is to break down barriers that are stopping these children from accessing the best education possible. I am here to support these children and their families in any way I can.”
Amanda will be available in an ongoing capacity after the child has entered preschool or school to respond to any concerns or issues.
The ATTS program also offers the following:
- Finds preschool and school placements.
- Assists with filling in the enrolment paperwork.
- Supports child and family with transition from preschool to school.
- Increases number of days per week the child attends preschool.
- Improves school readiness for Aboriginal children emotionally, socially and academically.
- Completes a thorough developmental assessment.
- Assists with referrals and linking to other services as needed. These include Pathfinders National Aboriginal Birth Certificate Program and Armajun Health Service.
For more information email email@example.com or call 0438514223.